Friday, March 20, 2009

Motherhood and March Madness

Eric and I are going to Las Vegas to watch the beginning of the NCAA tournament and hang out with friends and family for a few days. Although I'm looking forward to a little vacation, I struggle being away from Diego. I've grown accustomed to sleepless nights and taking care of a beautiful baby boy. I've watched several video clips this morning to trick myself into thinking he is here. And as I sit here, watching the videos and looking at pictures that span his life, I realize that I have become a mother, complete with Mom Thoughts and Mom Worries. It's bizarre how it snuck up on me. I'm also struck with how I've just started the ride and it's going to be a doosie of a roller coaster. ~ I was talking to my Mom yesterday and she was reassuring me that Diego would be fine during our absence, but I worry that he will think I've abandoned him. That he doesn't know that it's temporary and that Eric and I will be back in a few days. Such a scary proposition in my mind.

Well, on to lighter thoughts... I completed my bracket for the tourney. In the past I have been a big researcher when doing my bracket. I really know nothing about college basketball since I don't pay much attention to it - but if I make picks, I try to be informed. I get on the web and read a bunch of insider's views and look at stats. This year was very different, to say the least. I just couldn't find the time to "research" so I did the next best thing in my mind. I copied President Obama's picks. I'm still laughing at my desperate attempt to be involved! I'm pathetic, but at least I know it. But I figure if Obama picked them, they must be good picks - he's an avid basketball fan and player. So there. The cat's outta the bag. I copied Obama.

Viva Las Vegas!

3 comments:

  1. A) you've always been a bit of a mommer (in only the good ways, of course) so I'm glad to see you've finally owned up to it! :)
    B.1) how the hell does the president have time to fill out a bracket given these trying social and economic times?
    B.2) so at least it's clear your schedule is more hectic than Obama's.....so you need this vacation!
    B.3) Whoah..... Paul, Julian, Jen, Eric, Jo, and Vegas? It's almost a perfect storm...... I wish I could be there to see it (and then not be able to remember most of it, and then probably miss my flight, and eventually return home penniless and hungover)
    C) good job taking the computer with you! I expect constant photo updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you left Diego behind, that must be hard. Michele and I haven't tried that yet with our kids. Was it wierd? I bet he was happy to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been a bit of Mommer, haven't I? Yes, now it's official. :) It was the perfect storm... we had a lot of fun!

    It was weird being without Diego - and we saw so many kids in Vegas! I couldn't believe how people take their kids there! Horrible place for kids to be hanging out. Diego was very happy to see Eric and I this morning! I'm so glad to see him, too! I missed him. But I think it was good for Eric and I to get away and be irresponsible for a while.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?