All information from The Daily Green ~
Why Buy Organic?
There are many reasons to buy organic foods. The USDA Organic label tells you that fruits and veggies weren't raised using manmade chemical pesticides, fossil fuel- or sewage-based fertilizers or genetically modified seeds. On meat, the label indicates that the feeds provided met those same standards, and that the animals weren't administered hormones and antibiotics. Bottom line: "Organic" is more sustainable and healthier -- for the environment and farm workers, certainly, and often for you and your family.How is organic healthier? It's healthier because some studies suggest that organic produce has more nutrients than its conventional counterparts, probably because the soil is left in better condition after repeated plantings; and healthier because you avoid ingesting any harmful pesticide residues left on conventional produce.
The Three Most Important to Buy Organic
1. MEAT
For overall environmental impact, meat is the king of foods, even if it's not the most likely to have pesticide residue per se.
Contrary to a widely reported "fact," meat typically contains less pesticide residue than plant-based foods, according to Debra Edwards, the director of EPA's Office of Pesticide Programs. But raising animals with conventional modern methods often means using hormones to speed up growth, antibiotics to resist disease on crowded feed lots, and both pesticides and chemical fertilizers to grow the grain fed to the animals. Additionally, it takes many times the water and energy to raise one meal's worth of meat than it does one meal's worth of grain.
Consumers looking to avoid meats raised with these substances can seek out certified organic meat. To meet USDA standards, this meat can come only from animals fed organic feed and given no hormones or antibiotics. Searching out cuts from grass-fed animals ensures that you're eating meat from an animal that was fed a more natural diet, and looking for a local source of meats lets you question the farmer directly about the animal's diet and the farmer's method of raising it. It cuts down on the environmental cost of transportation, too.
2. MILK
Pesticides and other man-made chemicals have been found in human breast milk, so it should come as no surprise that they have been found in dairy products, too. While any residues detected have been rare, and of low concentration, milk is of special concern because it is a staple of a child's diets.
Organic dairies cannot feed their cows with grains grown with pesticides, nor can they use antibiotics or growth hormones like rGBH or rbST. The overall impact of the herd is lessened when you choose organic milk.
3. COFFEE
Many of the beans you buy are grown in countries that don't regulate use of chemicals and pesticides. Look for the USDA Organic label to ensure you're not buying beans that have been grown or processed with the use of potentially harmful chemicals.
Go a step or two further, and look for the Fair Trade Certified label to ensure that your purchase supports farmers who are paid fairly and treated well. And look for shade-grown varieties for the trifecta: Then you know the coffee is being grown under the canopy of the rainforest, leaving those ancient trees intact, along with the wildlife -- particularly songbirds -- that call them home.
The Dirty Dozen: Top 12 Foods You Should Buy Organic
http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/Dirty-Dozen-Foods Check out the latest list of the most important foods to buy organic, in order to minimize your exposure to toxic pesticides and enjoy safer meals.
- Peaches
- Apples
- Sweet Bell Peppers
- Celery
- Nectarines
- Strawberries
- Cherries
- Kale
- Leafy Greens
- Grapes
- Carrots
- Pears
The Clean 15: Foods You Don't Have to Buy Organic http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/Save-on-Sustainable-Gallery-44032808 Buying organic makes sense for the health of the earth, farm workers and your family ... But if you're pinching pennies (and who isn't these days?), choose from this list to avoid pesticide residue.
- Onion
- Avocado
- Sweet Corn
- Pineapple (Yay! Cameron!)
- Mangos
- Asparagus
- Sweet Peas
- Kiwi
- Cabbage
- Eggplant
- Papaya
- Watermelon
- Broccoli
- Tomato
- Sweet Potato
This really strikes home for me a bit these days. Skye and Kaleo are really into organic foods, as well as really focusing on farmer direct foods. They don't eat meat at all, not even fish, they only drink soy milk (I prefer rice milk, but I guess it's not as good for you) and they don't eat anything with eggs in it either (including omeletts! Can you imagine?!?) The biggest stretch in their diet is cheese. And thank goodness for that. I've been eating with them for a month now, and while anytime we go out for dinner I usually get some fish or some other unapproved food (ha ha ha), when we eat at home, I have what they have. And I must say, we eat really really well. Mornings are typically a cup or two of locally grown coffee (Either organic from the natural foods store [I'll check on the certifications though] or Sharky's....he's got ten acres of trees outside of town - Kilzer's now hooked on the stuff too) and a shot of wheatgrass (grown ourselves in trays near the drying raacks) and some fruit, usually in the form of a green smoothie, which includes some leafy greens like collard greens, kale, or the like. Then for lunch it's a salad or a sandwich stacked with mushrooms and avocados, and then for dinner it could be any number of things from pasta to salad to curry to whatever. But I think I've eaten more in the last month than I have in the previous three. 95% of the food at the house is bought from either the farmer's market or the natural foods store. The farmer's market can be a bit sketchy as to the source of the product, but Skye and Kaleo have been going there long enough to know who grows the produce themselves and who buys from wholesalers. They know who grown organically and who doesn't (usually).
ReplyDeleteI'd like to say that I feel a million times better on this diet, that I can clearly see the results of eating healthier, but at this point, I can't. I'm sure part of that has to do with my cheating (Snickers bars, Oreos (the don't have eggs in them - ha!), and of course, the biggest one being beer). But I've found myself cheating less and less, and perhaps some more time will make a difference.
One interesting point though, is that while I don't feel better for the new diet, I have noticed I feel a lot worse when I eat more processed food. I had some chicken katsu the other day (chicken breast pounded flat and then breaded and fried), and I didn't feel that great after I ate it. I also had some McDonalds about two weeks after I got here, and I really felt bad after eating it, and I swear I could smell it coming out of my pores for two days afterwards.
I guess I don't really have a point with all of this, other than I'm klinda living the dream that you've outlined here, and as of yet, personal results are inconclusive.
But I have learned that I even like vegan donuts (if they're maple flavored) :)